Vicki Escarra is a nonprofit powerhouse. Vicki is also humble, and she would no doubt defer credit for many of her ultra-successful initiatives to the hardworking staff at the organizations she has presided over.
She joined Opportunity International in 2012, implementing a strategic plan that increased global funding 45%. She has brought her passion for education to bear on the organization, working to dramatically increase the number of loans available to impoverished families to pay for tuition, books, and other expenses to keep their children in the classroom.
Prior to her time at Opportunity International, Vicki spent six years at the helm of Feeding America where her leadership helped drive a 300% donation increase and fourfold uptick in total revenue, doubling the number of people served.
Vicki Shares 5 Ways Organizations Can Be Better Global Citizens:
1. Capital is huge. A $200 loan can grow to to $50,000. With the right investment a person living in poverty can grow a business and manage 50 people. She’s seen it happen.
2. Invest in women. Women are half the global workforce. For every dollar a woman earns 90% goes back to her family. Investing in women is investing in future generations.
3. Education is essential. Every year of additional primary education increases earnings after graduation by 10-20%. Combined with secondary education that jumps to 30%.
4. Stay optimistic. At the present rate by 2030 less than 2% of the earth’s population will live on less than $2 a day. It may not sound like much, but that’s a big global benchmark.
5. We’re all global citizens. You can’t choose to be a part of the global community. You’re already in it. You can only choose how much effort you put into making it better.
For more about Opportunity International, click here.
Watch more FIVEinSIXTY episodes here.
FIVEinSIXTY is our web series with thought leaders whose stories provide insights and inspiration for the next generation of go getters—our own little brainchild outside the wide variety of videos we produce for our clients.
Check Out Our Work